Sunday, February 27, 2011

Albright Knox

Which artworks make an impact or impression on me?
1. Jackson Pollack
Convergence, 1952. Oil on canvas. 95 1/4 x 157 1/8 inches

I was drawn to this work first by its scale. It dares you to look closer. The limited color palette makes the yellow, orange and blue stand out. It is well balanced and I was fascinated by its complexity.






2. Jim Hodges
Look and See, 2005. Enamel on stainless steel. 300 x 138 x 144 inches


This piece just seems so effortlessly graceful. It has this natural movement because of its shape and its reflective surface. Its use of space makes it hard to decipher where the work stops and its environment begins.






3. Norman Lewis
Street Music, 1950. Oil on canvas.

This is much smaller compared to the other two works. However, it made a strong impression on me. At first glance, the work just seems to be scribbles of simple shapes and lines. However, once I looked more closely the shapes and lines formed into people and music notes and instruments. It suddenly became a scene filled with life and energy.










Which artworks do I feel a connection with?
1. Sonja Brass
The Quiet Dissolution, Firestorm. 2008. Color print. Edition 8/8

I felt a connection with this artwork because I was immediately reminded of flying over a city a night. I flown into New York City, Buffalo and Las Vegas at night and the lights are breath-taking. This print has such a balance because of the fiery horizon that divides light of the city and the sky.









2. Paul Pfeiffer
Caryatid (Red, Yellow, Blue), 2008. Three-channel video and three monitors, 32 x 21 x 25 inches
I made a connection with this work because I love sports. The way Pfeiffer synchronized the three monitors and edited out the other players makes the players look like choreographed dancers.







3. Paul Pfeiffer
Caryatid, 2004. DVD with chromed mirror.
I connected with this piece also because of my love of sports, especially hockey. The Stanley Cup represents a life's dream for players and it gives so much pride for the team's city. Deleting the players that hold the trophy emphasizes this. It shows how much our culture glorifies sports. The chrome television also mimics the the finish of the Stanley Cup.







Which artworks would I like to know more about?
 1. Zhan Wang
Urban Landscape Buffalo, 2005–10. Stainless steel pots, pans, and kitchen utensils.
I want to know what inspired this work and the creative process. Why the choice to use kitchen wear and not just choose to make the forms? I also want to know how many individual pieces comprise the work? It's like looking at a model and it makes me wish I could walk around inside and look at everything more closely.







2.Marisol
Baby Girl, 1963. Wood and mixed media. Overall 74 x 35 x 47 inches


Th scale of this work and the use of various media just makes me want to know how she came up with this concept. There tremendous detail of the faces and bow. This makes me wonder why she chose to carve the base from wood and not just do a drawing?














3. Laurie Simmons
Magnum Opus II (the Bye-Bye), 1991. Gelatin Silver Print, edition 1/5. 54 x 95 in
The figures used in the print are just so bizarre in nature that it begs the question "why?"

3 comments:

  1. What did you think of Pfeiffer's exhibit? I also used the Stanley Cup work and thought it was very creative. Out of all the pieces at the gallery, I thought his exhibit was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the Urban Landscape Buffalo exhibit. I thought it was pretty stunning seeing it for the first time as you go to the upstairs section of the gallery. It didn't occur to me at the time but now that I've read your post I'd also like to know how many pieces are in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art piece entitled "Baby Girl" seems very interesting. It seems to me as though the artist is making a statement by creating the baby wooden and much bigger than the person. It's seems to say that taking care of children is a big responsibility.

    ReplyDelete